Saturday 27 February 2010

The Red Badge of Courage (1951)

I guess this was about the best movie about the ACW for some time - there was something believable about the film - I suppose the knowledge that Audie Murphy was a real-life hero added to that. Nowadays it looks a little dated in the combat scenes - they seem more like a WW2 battle than what we expect to see nowadays....deep lines of firing and so forth. Still worth catching it if it crops up on your screen. Apparently there was a 70s miniseries on the same book. Like to see that.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Somserset,
    Dare I offer an "au contrare?"
    I like this film more and more and the battle scenes are the part I never enjoyed when younger. Now, I believe they are more realistic-to a point. All a soldier usually sees is his fellows and smoke. In this film the enemy Confederates are like shadows in the smoke and then are suddenly upon them. When viewed from a distance, a moving form advances through the smoke as the fifers play. Crane wrote about Henry feeling as if he was in a moving box and I think this film portrays that.
    The more recent film starred Richard Thomas of "The Waltons' fame, but I don't remember anything about it other than I think he had some zouaves in his company.

    ReplyDelete